The role of The People Concern’s Malibu Homeless Outreach Team (Team) is to help the community by connecting its homeless people to services and housing. As a member of the community, you may be able to help the Team by providing it with some basic information about homeless individuals in need of assistance. The following procedure has been developed to help community members understand when and how to engage with the Team. If you know of or encounter a homeless individual in Malibu, please use the following guidelines:
- CALL “911” if the individual is:
- Trespassing on your property or engaging in a crime
- Threatening you or any person physically
- Damaging or posing a threat to property
- Threatening to harm themselves
- Posing a safety threat (e.g., walking in traffic, initiating a fire, etc.)
- Call your private security service (if applicable) in addition to 911 if any of the emergency situations described above occurs.
- If none of the emergency situations described above occurs, and you would like to provide the Malibu Homeless Outreach Team with some basic information regarding a particular individual in need of assistance, please do one of the following:
Complete and submit the Team’s “Homeless Contact Information Form.” This form can be accessed by clicking here
Call the Malibu Outreach Team Connection Line at: 310-460-2638.
You will hear a voice directing you on how to leave your information. Please provide the same information requested on the “Homeless Contact Information Form” (access form by clicking here). Team members may be working in the community and often will not be able to personally take calls. If you want the team to contact you about the information you have provided, please supply your name, contact number, and best time to call you. Speak slowly and clearly. A team member will return your call by the end of the next work day.
You can also email the Outreach Team at: MalibuOutreach@ThePeopleConcern.org
- If you wish to remain anonymous when you report information about a homeless individual, you are free to do so. However, it can be very helpful for the Team to be able to talk with you directly about your experiences with and observations of the individual. If you are willing to have the Team contact you, please indicate this in your voice message or on your “Homeless Contact Information Form,” and be sure to provide your contact information. Thank you!
- If you are a member of the Malibu community (individual or business) in need of the Malibu Homeless Outreach Team’s “on-call, as needed” assistance (during their scheduled hours) due to an encounter with a homeless individual, please:
Call “911” in case of emergency.
If not an emergency, please email the Malibu Homeless Outreach Team at: MalibuOutreach@ThePeopleConcern.org
Sometimes the Sheriff’s Department is legally prohibited from taking action, or is occupied with other assignments. The People Concern’s Outreach Team can be especially helpful in these situations and can remain on site to fully assist with resolving the incident.